sailing school

sailing school
skiffs

Monday, February 28, 2011

Bonjour Paris!

3 February, 2011

Stepping off the plane at Charles de Gaulle was an energising feeling, despite the fact that it was four o'clock in the morning according to my body clock, and there had been no sleep on the flight. Just as well I was feeling energised, as I knew Holly had plans for us on my arrival night which included the words 'out' and 'party'.

I was really happy to see her waiting in the Arrivals lounge, looking great in her winter coat and smiling, just as I remembered her from last time. Her driving was just as I'd remembered too, and I spent most of the journey into Montmartre with my eyes closed, holding my breath.

Her new apartment was just lovely, accessed via a very pretty entrance courtyard, and featuring pale oak floors and a charming layout.  Two bedrooms and a study in one of the most desirable locations in Paris - I was most impressed. This was going to be fun!

Rallying after a glass of Pinot Noir (quite a shock to my now very Australian wine drinker's palette) and piling on the layers for an 'al fresco soiree', we ventured out to a record industry party round the corner at EMI head offices.  This was a blast from the past for me, as Holly and I had met when we both worked for EMI, she in Paris and I in London, and enjoyed some very memorable, erm, working experiences over the years.

The launch party brought back a hundred memories, there were some familiar faces both in the crowd and looking down from the photographic hall of fame and the whole thing was quite vibey enough to keep me going.  The girls in attendance were so pretty and so sophisticated looking in comparison to the faces I'd become familiar with in Australia, with their casual glamour, chic little boots and scarves, some with Amelie haicuts, and all smoking (of course). The guys resembled cool city types, art directors or musos - surely because they were! - wearing black coats and horn rimmed specs and all smoking (of course). 

I was straight back into hearing French everywhere and trying to speak it again, which my sleep deprived brain managed for a while, then it became scrambled and too hard.  Time to head home. Jerome van der Hole was still strumming his stuff on the showcase stage, but it was all becoming a blur and tomorrow was another day.  The girls were arriving.........


No comments:

Post a Comment