sailing school

sailing school
skiffs

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Madame Folie regrets.....

It's been a little quiet on the Folie Madame front, and with good reason. Unless something really dramatic takes place within the next day or two, my time here is has run out - for now.

Unable to change my ticket to remain until August or beyond, I've been advised I'll have to buy an entirely new ticket altogether and, frankly, I'd rather do that when our permanent return to France takes place, all things coming together as planned, later this year.

 Thus, as my thoughts start straying towards the Antipodes and my imminent return there, I've been dwelling on the comparisons, differences, pros and cons of both countries. What am I going to miss most about France and what am Iooking forward to greeting again in Australia? Here are a few of my thoughts, with more to follow later - accompanied almost exclusively by my photos from France, due to the fact that, well, I've been here, mostly.....

Food - the food is better here, almost without exception, as befits a nation obsessed with fine food and quite unaware of the delights of a processed meat pie. French cheese is divine beyond the realm of dreaming, however, I do miss a bit of mature cheddar AND - it's a big AND - proper parmesan with Italian food. For some inexplicable reason, the French don't 'do' parmesan and put emmental/gruyere on their pasta. What on eartth?? Is this a strange Southern foible? Why no shaved parmigiana on Aubergine Parmigiana?? Can anyone French help me with this? I am also, needless to say, looking forward to a cup of coffee worthy of the name and a Red Thai Chicken Curry. 

Markets – every town in France, big or tiny, has a weekly market, and they are wonderful!  Genuine home grown products, local food and drink, hand made goods - most of the markets I attended were mercifully light on Made in China tat, featuring instead stuff from France itself, Italy, Spain, India, Africa. My favourite buy – a hand embroidered, lined, white linen dress, made in Italy for 39 euros =
miraculous!

Picpoul de Pinet – my wine of choice, perfectly delicious and quite inescapable as the vineyards stretch as far as the eye can see. Yes, I will enjoy again a NZ Marlborough sauvignon blanc, but there is nothing quite like walking into town through the vineyards that produced the pichet of wine accompanying lunch. I shall really miss that. 

Dogs - liberté, égalité, fraternité applies to dogs, too, in France.  As a dog lover it is just a delight to know that, upon our return, Roly and Pepper will come out for lunch or dinner with us (and sit in the restaurant), have a stroll around the shopping centre (yes, inside), go to the beach (any beach), travel on any bus, train or plane (yes, in the cabin), grab a burger at McDonald's, be untroubled by constant leash wearing or council registration - and penalites for insubordination! - and generally be accorded the concessions and priviledges appropriate to Man's Best Friend.  Australia won't ever adopt this policy. Ever.
Coming soon, People and Places, favourite memories......

1 comment:

  1. Ref Cheese - it never ceases to amaze me that despite living a mere hop across the water in England, I can't get a decent bit of cheese for love nor money. Pretty much all of it is pasteurised to within an inch of its life. I've been known to go into a frustrated meltdown in the aisles of Sainsbury's. And don't get me started on the markets...even the so-called Farmer's Markets are largely stocked with foodstuffs that are the third-cousin-twice-removed equivalent of that available to our Continental friends...

    Maybe I should move too???

    Loving your missives...

    Carrie xxx

    ReplyDelete